Hi, my name is Sarah Crimmins. At age 28, when my daughter was only 11 months old (in December 2008), I was diagnosed with Grade 3 Invasive Breast Cancer.

Since then I have had a mastectomy of my left breast, gone through IVF, 4 months of Chemotherapy, 5 weeks of radiotherapy, hospitalised with meningitis and just recently in December 2009, I underwent a prophylactic mastectomy of my right breast with immediate reconstruction and a reconstruction of my left breast using the latissimus dorsi.

At the start of my cancer journey I spent hours on the internet searching for similar stories to my own and in particular, photographs of those women so I could gain an understanding of what I was about to go through and although I found some, I didn't find many.

This is the main reason for my blog. I wanted to be able to share my experience and photographs of my journey in the hope that it will help someone else with the decisions that they are about to face.

This is the story of the worst year of my life, from finding the lump all the way to my reconstruction surgery and beyond.........


Please feel free to post some comments, actually i would absolutely love it if you would xo

May 10' - Field of Women

As a weekend trip away for just the two of us we decided to go to Melbourne and attend the 'Field of Women' put on by the Breast Cancer Network of Australia. It was wonderful!

Honestly I wasn't sure what to expect from it but it was much more than i thought it would be!

We initially sat toward the back, under the cover and it didn't feel right. I wanted to be much more involved so we went down toward the front and right amongst everyone else and it felt wonderful to be surrounded by all that pink (and a bit of blue to represent all of the men that get Breast Cancer). I nearly started crying from the moment we sat down but i had to stop myself because i figured i'd be a complete mess by the time we got onto the field.



Once we were all on the field, we turned on our lights and at one stage the presenter asking for all of the breast cancer survivors to raise their hands and i finally lost it then! Even Mat was crying at that stage. It felt great and i can't really explain why it was so emotional, but it just was and to have shared it with Mat was just what we needed as a couple.



Thank you to the BCNA for putting it together!

No comments:

Post a Comment